вторник, 5 ноября 2013 г.

Labor Affirmations – With Free Printable Download

Labor Affirmations – With Free Printable Download

Childbirth can be a little scary to prepare for, especially for first time mothers. We worry so much about preparing bags for the hospital, getting the nursery room ready, and making sure that baby registry is perfect. But do we think about preparing ourselves for the actual labor?


One of the labor coping techniques that can be so powerful, is labor affirmations. These phrases, sayings, or even words, can be held in your mind as something to meditate on, or spoken aloud like a chant or a mantra. For myself, I found myself saying the word “Open” a lot…strung out like a meditative plea. “Oooooooooopen. Ooooooooopen.” I found that physically it kept me settled and helped me regulate my breathing while giving me something to focus myself mentally.


I once read a quote by Ina May Gaskin, a foremost midwife and health professional in the field of labor and delivery, that said, “Don’t think of it as pain. Think of it as an interesting sensation that requires all of your attention.” It struck me as manifestly true – childbirth absorbs so much of yourself and your attention. I think that’s why labor affirmations can be so powerful. When there’s a phrase, saying, quote, or verse that speaks to you in that moment, the rhythm and focus it creates can really work for you. But be prepared! What works for you in early labor may not work for you in mid or late labor. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself wanting to switch things up a little bit.


Here I’ve collected some favorite labor and birth affirmations for you. We’ve split these up into labor affirmations, religious affirmations (Scripture and Bible based), and coaching affirmations. The coaching affirmations will include phrases that your partner, doula, or “birth coach” might find useful for you as encouragement. Feel free to sign up below, print out the sheets, and tuck them into the labor bag when you prepare for your home or hospital birth. We’ve made them business card sized so you can print them on heavier quality paper in business card sizes and easily put them in your bag.


Labor Affirmations

  • These contractions are not too strong. The strength is my strength. My body is strong.
  • Open. I breathe my body open.
  • I surrender and relax with confidence.
  • I will meet my baby soon.
  • My body is powerful and strong. I am open to its strength.
  • I embrace confidence in my body’s ability to do what it needs to do.
  • I will meet my baby soon.
  • Each surge and each moment brings me closer to my baby.
  • Breathe in strength. Breathe out relaxation.
  • I have everything I need to birth this baby.

Download the printable version to take with you to the hospital.


Religious Labor Affirmations


  • God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of love and power and sound mind.
  • Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.
  • God’s strength flows through me to bring my baby into the world.
  • God has chosen me as the perfect mother for this baby.
  • The Lord stood with me and gave me strength.
  • My baby is a unique creation called into this world by God.
  • I am surrounded by the prayers and love of my family.
  • My body is fearfully and wonderfully made.
  • God’s grace is sufficient for me – His power is perfect.
  • For this child, I prayed.

Download the printable version to take with you to the hospital.


Affirmations for the Partner


  • You will see the baby soon! (Especially helpful near the end when women work so hard they can forget a baby is coming.)
  • Breathe with me deep breaths.
  • I’m so proud of you.
  • You are so strong and powerful.
  • This is tough, but you are doing awesome.
  • Breathe in and out….relax….
  • You’re doing great.
  • You are working so hard for our baby.
  • I love you.
  • I can’t wait to meet our baby – soon!

Download the printable version to take with you to the hospital.


Please join our Facebook Group and share your favorite labor affirmations! I’d love to hear which of these you like or whether you use other affirmation phrases. Many in the group mentioned that visualization helped them and they pictured each contraction as a wave.


Words have power so fill your heart and mind with words that will uplift you. I want to close this post with one final thought I found in my research for this post. “There is a secret in our culture, and it’s not that birth is painful. It’s that women are strong.” ~ Laura Stavoe Harm


Original article and pictures take i0.wp.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий